I always tell my buddies all these remedies when they’re sick but might as well spread this ‘round the Tumbles. So here you go! Easy ways to make yourself less miserable when you’re sick! THANK YOU FOR REBLOGGIN N’ LIKIN!
- Peppermint and/or any mint-flavored things. These help relax the muscles that contract violently that’ll force you to vomit.
- Ginger. The bubbly isn’t what helps but ginger itself. You can have gingerale or that cute little pink/green stuff you have with sushi.
- Distract yourself. It’ll only get worse if you think about it. Try playing a game or keeping yourself busy to get your mind off of it. Take a nap if you must and you’ll probably feel better when you wake up.
- “I need fresh air.” You really do. Open a window, step outside, get away from any stuffy or hot rooms or anything that may be smelly. Getting out of the sick environment will make you feel better.
FOR COLD (& SORE THROAT / COUGH)
- Hot fluids. Soup and tea specifically. It’ll clear up your congestion and help drain out the germs. Chicken noodle soup really is the miracle worker.
- Honey. (Tea + Honey works, too) coats your throat and is a guaranteed soother. Tastes most delicious as well!
- Zinc Losanges. I’ve met many people that swear by these. They may taste disgusting but apparently they’re worth it.
- Steam will clear you up. Really. It will. Soak a wash cloth in totally hot water and apply to face. If it gets cold you can just throw it in the microwave for 10-30 seconds and it’ll be nice n’ steamy again. You can also hover over boiling water in a pot but face it, you don’t want to stand up and over something when you could be resting in bed.
- Gargle Salt Water. Helps soothe your throat as well! Tastes terrible but will ease the burning yuckiness. Thank you kawaiitank for the input!
- Get naked…not really. But you do want to keep yourself from heating up anymore as much as possible. Make sure you’re in a relatively cool environment but if you feel cold then bundle up in something light.
- Drink up. Liquids again. Basically the guaranteed move to get yourself healthy. Flush out the fever with plenty of fluids (stick to water, too.)
- Keep your head cool literally, put on a damp, cold wash cloth or an ice pack or hell even a steak.
- Cold Showers are always an option…teeeheee.
- Cold foods work too. Go ahead and munch on some ice or a popsicle.
- Bed Buddy! A hot or cool rag over the eyes/forehead will do you wonders. Lay down, blind yourself, and let it do its job. Maybe even take a nap!
- GET OFF THE F*CKING COMPUTER or stop watching TV. If your headache is located right on your eye/above your eye that’s eye strain. Take a break and rest your eyes for a bit.
- Take a Painkiller…please? Really, it helps. Don’t be stubborn. One won’t kill you.
- ICE IS A NO-NO Ice damages skin and muscle tissue and will mess up your burn further, DO NOT DO THIS NOT EVEN BEHIND A PAPER TOWEL.
- Run Burn under Cold Cool Water. I know, once you pull your burn away from the water it’ll sting like hell. You need to LEAVE IT UNDER the running water for a while. Thank you riningear for the revision!
- Apply burn ointment. Every home should have some, DON’T PUT ALCOHOL ON THE WOUND IT’LL HURT REALLY BADLY.
- Bandage it. It’ll keep it protected from any other type of irritation and hopefully heal on its own.
- Obviously if its really bad get to a doctor. If not treated right burns can get particularly nasty. The sooner you go the sooner you’ll get your appointment for a skin graph!
FOR SRS OWWIES
- Get to the hospital for Christ’s sake. If there is absolutely no one that can drive you or if it’s a life-or-death situation you can call an ambulance, but know that once your body enters an ambulance you can owe your transporters up to 2000 dollars. Think of it as a really, really expensive taxi with life support equipment.
- Bleeding to death? Apply a tourniquet if its to one of your limbs. All you do is grab something wrap-able and tie it as tight as possible ABOVE the wound. It’ll slow the bleeding and you probably should also keep the wound covered with clean cloth or something. Jk, You’re supposed to apply pressure over the wound to stop it from bleeding. Tourniquets are only good if you use them for a very short period. Don’t use cloth to plug it since it’ll soak up the blood like a moe’suckra. Only use tourniquets for a while if you’re okay with losing your limb 😀 Thank you DEVIL for the revision!
- So say you lose a limb… There’s this awesome, terrible thing you can do. Burn the end of anything metal that’s slightly larger than your wound and then…apply! It’ll create a nice little stump and stifle the bleeding. It’ll hurt like hell but it couldn’t be any worse than it does now, right?
UH HOLY SHIT THE PERSON NEXT TO ME CAN’T BREATHE.
- CPR First, take a class. But if you somehow don’t have time between now and then to do so just follow this… thing I found – “The current Australian Red Cross recommendation for CPR is 2 breaths & 30 compressions per cycle, with 3 cycles in less than a minute. (100 compressions per minute).” … To help time your compressions do it to the tune of “STAYIN’ ALIVE” but at DOUBLE Speed. So think of the chipmunks going “AH-AH-AH-AH-STAYIN’ALIVESTAYIN’ALIVE” And breathe after the fifteenth compression. Please don’t quote me on this though and take a class. I really can’t guarantee this will work since I’ve never used it before. BUT YOU NEVER KNOW…
DO NOT INDULGE IN …
- Milk, Cheese, Ice cream, Etc. It creates more mucus and you’ll feel even more miserable. Also makes nausea worse. ICE CREAM IS OKAY FOR FEVERS.
- Exercise. When people say you need to rest when you’re sick – they mean it. Your immune system will go inactive if you’re body has to endure exercise. EXERCISE IS OKAY FOR HEADACHES.
- Nasal Sprays. For the love of god I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH. I’ve lived with a family that were pretty much addicted to nasal sprays and they F*CK YOU UP. You’d do anything to relieve that congestion but once you put the chemicals in your nose it’ll eventually MAKE IT WORSE. You will NOT BE ABLE TO BREATHE if you use it again and will eventually destroy your sinuses! DON’T DO IT!!!
- Alcohol or Coffee. They drain you from the fluids you need to fight off the sickness and will most likely make you feel even more like shit.
- Anything Stressful. Your homework can wait an hour or two until you’re feeling more up to it. Do NOT stress out, it’s probably the reason you’re sick in the first lace. Your immune system gets really flimsy around Christmas because not only is it cold but also time to get everyone gifts, finals, etc. You know how people get sick RIGHT BEFORE something really important happens? That’s why.
ADVICE AND HOME REMEDIES FOR SICKLINGS